12 Feb 2014

Letterpress fever

Ive had a love affair with stationery that has been letter pressed for over half of my life.  The de-bossed inky goodness has a tactile, luxury feel about it and always looks impressive.

Well, luckily for me and birthday money, I have saved enough to buy a personal letterpress system.


I am BEYOND thrilled because now I can send out correspondence with a professional look but home made.  I'm just agonising over inks - so if you know any good value inks... do let me know.

Here are few things I have been inspired by of late......thus quantifying my utter lust for this machine! This message is way overdue for one of my old old friends, too ;)



the simplicity is just incredible


I am dying over this design


And this is KILLING me!

I'll report back with how I get on soon!


wigan, model photography, portfolio photographer wigan, photographer lancashire, urban photographer, wigan camera club, dslr training, photography training, makeover photography, north west photographer, model portfolios, head shots, wigan, photographer, photographer wigan, photographer in wigan,  boudoir photography, make over photography, wedding photographer wigan, family photographer wigan, model headshots, model portfolio wigan

2 comments:

Debo said...

Oh yes! Love all of these! Can't wait to see your creations...

-Agnes- said...

Hi Kirsty,

that's exiting - looking forward to see what you will be making with it!

I used to love this machine, bought it on ebay, until I stupidly broke it about three years ago by trying to run a Fiskars texture plate through it... now I can't get a replacement machine anywhere in Europe, on eBay or elsewhere, nor have it repaired (apart from in the US - I told the maker of the machine that the cog wheel is damaged but no luck with their customer service who didn't answer my request for a spare part... and it would probably cost an arm and a leg to send the machine to the US anyway.)

Luckily when the machine was still in working order, I had made more letterpress prints than I was using - because the ink goes such a long way and I didn't want to waste what I had squeezed out of the tube. So I can still use them as embellishments on my cards even though the machine is dead. Here is a link to a card I made with one of the ornaments: http://statemint.blogspot.ie/2012/01/letterpress-ornament-card-with-curtain.html.

I kept all the paper, envelopes and inks I bought from them because I think I should be able to use the letterpress designs with the Sizzix Big Shot machine (which I own) but I haven't actually tried it yet. I do like the letterpress designs a lot but find them a bit limited - for example you couldn't make any of the inspirational cards you showed in your blog post, because I think the people who did those must have had the letterpress designs made especially for them, as I have never found them anywhere on the web, nor a place offering to make customized letterpress designs for you. That would be any designer's dream, wouldn't it - to have your own letterpress and maybe even dies made for you...! There are no coordinating dies for the Letterpress so I had to manually cut around the edges of my letterpress print which unfortunately does take away from the crisp look and feel I want from Letterpress.
So apart from looking forward to seeing the wonderful cards you are going to make with your Letterpress, what I would really like to know from you is - can you guess - where did you get your machine from? (And do they have another one?)